When: Saturday, 4 May - Sunday, 5 May
10:00 am - 6:00 pm
The Open Food Network are thrilled to announce our first ever UK Hackathon. Over the weekend of the 4th and 5th of May we’ll be nestling into Newspeak House to spend two days working on real issues for the global open source project. Together we hope to expand our exciting community, bring in new people that believe in what we do and share our experience in building a successful remote open source community. And of course we will share great food, laughs and fun!
What is the Open Food Network?
The Open Food Network (OFN) is a global, open source collaboration building software for short and local supply chains. We want to make it easy for people to build vibrant and viable communities around the production and distribution of healthy, sustainable food. Our open source platform is used in a dozen countries by hundreds of food enterprises, selling millions of pounds of good food every year. Our global team is built of about 25 people around the world, working on product, dev, testing, UX and support. OFN is growing fast and are hoping to expand our community of passionate food tech enthusiasts.
What to Expect
Over the weekend you will:
- Work in teams to tackle issues that are affecting sustainable farmers and community food projects all over the world
- Build and share your skills. Our stack is built on Ruby, Rails, Postgres, AngularJS deployed with Ansible (Unicorn, NGINX).
- Learn from OFN developers, contributors and professionals
- Contribute to issues in different stages of our pipe process – from development to testing to release
- Work on problems that suit your skills and interests – design, UX, coding, APIs, testing
- Learn about our processes and systems, including how to become a paid contributor in the longer term.
- Meet an amazing group of like minded people working to use tech to make the world we want to live in
- Stickers and other (much more) exciting rewards for being involved and making contributions!
This is a free event – and Open Food Network will provide lunch, snacks and drinks throughout the two days. If you would like to attend but travel or accommodation costs are prohibitive please get in touch with Open Food Network and they might be able to help.
Where: Newspeak House, 133 Bethnal Green Rd, London